― Advertisement ―

HomeGeneralAdmissionUniversity of Pretoria (UP) Residence Application | How to Apply for University...

University of Pretoria (UP) Residence Application | How to Apply for University of Pretoria Hostel

University of Pretoria (UP) Residence Application | How to Apply for University of Pretoria Hostel. On this post you may get The following, Apply for Residence – UP, University of Pretoria UP Student Housing Application, University of Pretoria (UP)  Apply For Student Housing, UP residence application 2024, UP student housing, UP student housing office, UP residence for first-year students, UP student housing login, UP residence opening dates 2024, best UP residence, UP student housing contact details

What is UP Student Housing?

Staying in residence is an extension of your university education, and you can benefit from a range of facilities and services including PC labs, network connections, social and sporting activities.

Student Housing & Residence Life at UP strives to ensure that a living and learning environment is the foundation of its residence culture. Every effort is made to ensure that students’ residence life experience will foster their holistic development as well as being fully supportive of their academic programme.

University of Pretoria (UP) Residence Application | How to Apply for University of Pretoria Hostel

Residence life is a special experience. Staying in a UP residence is an extension of students’ university education, where they can benefit from all the facilities and services such as student learning centres, social and sporting activities, life-skills and peer-tutoring programmes.

UP Student Residence

UP provides different types of accommodation for undergraduate and postgraduate students, on and off campus.

Usually, you will start out in a first-tier residence (full catering), move on to a second-tier residence (senior catering or self-catering) and later, stay in third-tier accommodation (semi-autonomous self-catering).

Each residence has its own history and traditions, but they all try to provide a great experience. Safety is of great importance to UP, so all residences have strict access control and most are covered by closed-circuit television cameras.

Students with disabilities can be accommodated in different residences. Simply contact the Student Accommodation Office and the Disability Service, and they will address your particular needs.

University of Pretoria (UP) Residence Application | How to Apply for University of Pretoria Hostel

How to Apply to UP Student Residence : UP online application 2024

How To Apply For UP Student Housing?

Apply for student housing as part of your UP application for admission. Housing eligibility criteria for first-time entering undergraduates: first-tier student accommodation There are limited places in residence and these are awarded to applicants on the basis of criteria described below.

Prospective Applicants

Prospective undergraduate and postgraduate applicants may apply for accommodation together with their study application online. It is not necessary to complete an additional form. Applications for the University of Pretoria open on 01 March each year. A preferred residence of choice may be indicated on the application, but placement cannot be guaranteed.

If you want to apply for a residence after the UP study application has been submitted, you can do so online via your UP Portal.

Note: Postgraduate Applicants: Only students who are applying for a postgraduate study programme may apply for postgraduate residences. These applicants are considered once the student has been provisionally admitted for a postgraduate study programme.

Residence of choice: Students who wish to apply for a specific residence may indicate their residence of preference in the space provided on the online application. Placement at a preferred residence cannot be guaranteed as residence place is very limited.

Health Science Applications: Students applying for a study program in the Faculty of Health Science first apply for placement at the Groenkloof or Hatfield campuses. As soon as the student is admitted for such a program they will automatically be moved to a residence at the Prinshof campus, subject to the availability of place.

Renewal of placement for current residing students:

Current residing students must apply to renew their placement every year. Application is available on the UP Student Portal at the start of the second semester. You can get the information here, on page one.

Due to limited place, it is usually not possible to re-allocate all current residents placement in a residence for the following year. Please note that placement is based on academic merit.

New Senior Applications:

Registered students who have not previously resided in a residence can also apply via their UP Portal. Applications open at the start of the second semester.

Placement is not automatic and is subject to availability as the demand for residences is greater than the availability. Placements for non-residing students are also based on academic merit.

UP Residence Application Portal

The University of Pretoria (UP) Application forms for residences can be obtained at the admissions office or online by clicking on the following linked text below;

University of Pretoria Residence Placement

How do I apply for residence placement?

The same application form that is used to apply for a study course is also used as an application for residence. A specific division on the form must be completed if you want to apply for University accommodation. It is not necessary to complete another form. Unfortunately residence place cannot be guaranteed as the demand by far exceeds the places available.

Enquiries on private accommodation please see the Private Accommodation Page

Which residence do I apply for?
If you want to apply for a specific residence it must be indicated in the relevant space provided on the application form. If you are not familiar with our residences, you can choose one of the following residences:

Applied for a course in Health Sciences?

If you are applying for a Health Sciences course the procedure is as follows:

  • All students that apply for a residence on the Prinshof Campus (Health Sciences) are considered for a place in a residence on the Hatfield or Groenkloof Campuses if there are places available. The reason for this being, should you not be admitted for a medical related course and requested to be considered for another course, you have already been considered for a residence. As the demand for residences by far exceeds the places that are available, University accommodation cannot be guaranteed.
  • Placement in the Prinshof Campus residences takes place in October after the selection for the following year has taken place. Students who are accepted in the Health Sciences Faculty and have already acquired a place in another residence will automatically be transferred to one of the residences on the Prinshof Campus. This will be subject to the availability of places.
  • The first semester courses for MBChB are offered at the Hatfield Campus but from the second semester all the lectures are offered at the Prinshof Campus. A bus service is available for the first semester – the bus transports students from Prinshof Campus to the Hatfield Campus.

Applied for a course in Education?

Students who apply for any course in the Education Faculty will automatically be considered for a place at the Groenkloof Campus. All lectures in education are offered at this campus. There are three ladies and one men’s residence on the Groenkloof Campus. These are University controlled residences. They are well-equipped residences and are approximately 5km from the Hatfield Campus. Students studying courses offered on the Hatfield Campus are also considered for placement here if the availability of places allows this. There is a bus service (free of charge) between the Groenkloof and Hatfield Campuses.

Applied for Veterinary Science course?

Students that have been admitted to Veterinary Science will be placed at Onderstepoort.

How does residence placement take place?

Placement is done on an on-going basis, according to date of application and academic merit (grade 11 marks), until the residences are full. Should the residences be full at the time of application, you will automatically be placed on the waiting list and categorised according to date of application and academic merit (grade 11 marks).

How does the waiting list work?

Should the residence be full at the time of application, you will automatically be placed on the waiting list for residences according to academic merit (grade 11 marks) and date of application. As soon as a cancellation is submitted, the first person on the waiting list will be placed; this is a constant process.

How will I know that a place has been allocated to me?

As soon as you have acquired place in the residence, you will receive a written notification. You will be informed about the reservation levy payable, what you need to bring with you, meals and all other applicable tariffs.

If I don’t acquire a place in the residence of my choice?

As the places are limited, it is not always possible to offer everybody a place in the specific residence they applied for. If you really feel that you want to be placed in another residence than the one that was allocated to you, please fax or e-mail us a letter of motivation stating the reason why you want to change to another residence. If cancellations are received, each case will be considered on merit. The request can unfortunately not be guaranteed.

How do I secure my place in residence?

A prescribed reservation levy is payable within 30 days from the date of your placement letter. If you fail to pay this levy within 30 days, your place will be cancelled and allocated to the next person on the waiting list.

How do I keep my place in the residence?

It is important to note that you will only be permitted to take up your place in the residence if you still comply with the minimum requirements after the Grade 12 results are announced. You have to be able to register as a student at the University of Pretoria to qualify for University accommodation.

What if I have been granted a place and I want to cancel?

Please cancel in writing immediately even if our letter states that your place will be cancelled automatically after 30 days if you have not yet paid. This will avoid any misunderstandings. If you have already paid the reservation levy, please state your reason for cancelling, as this can influence the amount to be reimbursed to you.

When do I move into residence?

The relevant dates will be communicated to you in your placement letter. Should it not be possible, for you to take up your place in the residence on that specific day, arrangements must be made with the residence, in writing, to this effect. If the necessary arrangements are not made and/or you do not take up your place, your place will be cancelled and you will forfeit your reservation levy.

Will I be staying in as single room?

First year students are generally allocated a double room.

Once I am staying in the residence, how do I keep my place in my second year?

Renewal of residence place for the following year is based on academic merit. The GPA (Grade Point Average) of the first semester is calculated for the renewal of place for the following year. It is thus of the utmost importance to perform academically as from the first semester! Only students with the highest GPA are placed to fill the senior capacity in the residence and the rest are placed on a waiting list. Students on the waiting list are placed constantly as cancellations are received. The cut-off GPA for placement for the following year differs from year to year, from residence to residence and may vary from 57 to 65.

UP student housing contact details

Who do I contact should I have any enquiries regarding residence placement?

Enquiries can be done by telephone, fax or e-mail at one of the following contact numbers:

Client Service Centre (CSC)
Tel:        012 420 3111
Fax:       012 420 4555


Remember to e-mail with any queries or uncertainties.